Monday 6 January 2014

Jammy Baked Oatmeal Cups

Ah, the New Year.  That time of year when I quasi-pledge to eat healthier, develop some healthy recipes, and then add sugar...

Happy 2014!

Sugar. Brown sugar!

Although this recipe is not quite as healthy as my New Year's muffins from last year, it still gives you a healthy dose of fibre and protein with the oats.  I added the jam for flavour and prettiness.  That is absolutely a legit reason.

I developed this recipe for my mother, who has been trying to add oats to her diet for cholesterol reduction but cannot stand oatmeal!  I got the seal of approval from her on this one ;)  These gems come together with a lovely squidgy texture and comforting subtle molasses notes from the brown sugar.  However, please note that, unlike many of the baked recipes on this website, these oatmeal cups contain egg.

Jammy Baked Oatmeal Cups
Adapted from Eat, Live, Run blog.

Makes 18 muffin cups
  •  2 1/4 cups quick cook or rolled oats
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 2 1/2 cups milk (I use skim dairy)
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 tbsp apple juice
  • 6 tbsp jam of choice (or enough for 1 tsp of jam per cup)
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a regular-size muffin tin with silicone liners (or grease tin).
  2. In a large bowl, mix together oats, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and brown sugar.
  3. In a medium bowl, mix together milk, eggs, and apple juice.
  4. Add the wet mixture to the dry oats mixture and combine fully.
  5. Fill each section of the muffin tin 1/3 full with batter.  Add a teaspoon of jam atop the centre of the batter.  Add more batter to each section of the muffin tin until 2/3 full.
  6. Bake each batch of oatmeal cups for 25-30 minutes.  Cups will be ready when the top of each cup is set and just beginning to turn golden brown.
  7. Let oatmeal cups cool in tin for 10 minutes then transfer to a rack until cooled to room temperature. Serve!
 
I hope you enjoy :)

2 comments:

  1. great idea. they look great for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dina :-) I especially like to take these with me when I have to go to an early class or work and I need breakfast on the run!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...